How to contribute
Gig Union's cheat sheet runs on a highly modified wiki software, and we've opted into an experimental feature to make it easy to add content. Traditionally, contributing to a wiki page looks like a lot of nonsensical code. However, we have opted into "Wikitext" editor that should make it way easier for you to contribute to the Gig Union community. Here are some guidelines, tips and tricks to adding to the cheat sheet.
First thing's first: You need to create a Gig Union account
Gig Union members can create an account. Click the link “[Create account]” link located in the navigation drop down menu under "Personal". Fill in the simple registration form, click the "Create your account" button, and check your email for a confirmation code. It’s as easy as that.
Once you've confirmed your email, you will be able to edit topic pages on the cheat sheet. While you're still new, this is a good time to fill out your user profile. Some descriptions might be:
- Your name
- Your bio (keep it short and sweet!)
- Your portfolio site or professional website
- A description of your professional expertise and services
- A select list of your clients
- Ways that people can connect to you via social media, such as Twitter or LinkedIn
Once you have an account you can start to contribute!
There are two ways to share your expertise here: Edit an existing topic, as outlined below. Or create a new topic!
How to edit an existing topic page
- Login to your account or create an account if you don't have one already.
- Find the page that you would like to edit and click on the "Edit" tab at the top of the page.
- Refer to the formatting rules and style guide below.
- Make changes to the text.
- Click "Save" to return to the topic page. If you are using the "Edit source" option, then you can preview the changes by clicking “Show preview” at the bottom of the page. Here, you can review your edits to make sure everything looks right.
- And there you go! You've just dropped some knowledge into the topic page.
If you need additional help with formatting or are curious about all of the wiki's bells and whistles, visit the wiki help page at http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help